2017 was an extremely busy and exciting year for Music Voyage!
Here are some of the high notes…
• Our marimba band has been practicing regularly and their ability has grown tremendously. They participated in a djembe and marimba workshop in Pietermaritzburg for Youth Day and were invited to perform at the Presbyterian Fair in Howick as well as the Michaelhouse choir competition. They took a trip to the International Marimba Festival in Johannesburg and that was a wonderful experience. Our marimba band is really excelling, and the children enjoy every part of what comes with playing an instrument and being part of a team.
• Corrie Lynn school choir entered the department choir competition and did extremely well. They won in their category twice and managed to get to the third round which meant singing in 3 different venues around the province. The children and teachers were delighted.
• The Michaelhouse Choir competition was also a success for some of our farm school choirs. They had an opportunity of performing at such a wonderful venue and one of our schools received a prize in the traditional song category.
• We have been running really fun drumming workshops in all our schools.
• The saxophone girls continue to wow us with their dedication and commitment. Once again, they achieved remarkable results in their ABRSM exams this year. We are so proud of them.
• The brass band keeps going and we managed to get them a donation of brass sheet music from a German music school, so their repertoire is growing.
• We have introduced violin and drum lessons to 12 new students.
• Some of our music students took part in an etiquette training program hosted by ‘Beyond the facts consulting’.
• Our last performance was a collaboration with the Midlands Meander Education project which was an awesome event. Not only did we play music, but we were interviewed and filmed by the N3TC team who are one of our wonderful sponsors.
Once again, Music Voyage would like to thank our sponsors for their generous contribution which enabled us to achieve so much this year. We have definitely ended 2017 on a high note